Subject: Re: Clip Map bug in 3.5
From: [email-masked] (Mike Powell)
Date: 22 Nov 1994 21:19:53 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.packages.lightwave

John Gross ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : 	Has anyone ran into a bug where clip-mapped objects simply
: : 	fail to render? (LW 3.5)

: Turn off Antialiasing in the Clip Map panel. That will take care of it.

	Hi John...

	unfortunately, I tried that... no-joy.

	But, after much head thumping, I figured out what the most likely
	cause was, and I did find a way around it...

	The problem is this (I think)...

	Take a polygon, divide it in two so you can fold it in the center.
	Next, set up a clip map for it (I also used a planer image map), then
	morph target to a set of polygons that will cause the polygons to
	fold over eachother.  The polygons are now in the exact same
	physical space, and facing in opposing directions, both with
	clip mapping turned on.

	Lightwave doesn't seem to like this.  Under some circumstances, LW
	apparently clips out the entire poly.

	Anyway... I do things differently now, and the problem is not
	returning...  (and I may have another LWPro article for you).

	Take care,

	-Mike-